PolishForums - ARCHIVE PolishForums Archive :
Archives / 2008 / Work / answers: 103 - page 4 of 4

The qualifications for teachers in Poland?


Michal   Jan 20, 2008, 12:28pm /  #
lowfunk99 wrote:
What about getting the TESOL and some experience then taking the CELTA once I have some experience.

Surely both are one of the same thing. Both courses are a one month intensive course. I have never heard of someone doing both courses as it is just repetition. Rather like doing G.C.S.E. English through Manchester Board just then to do the whole thing again through London University. To me, it is idiotic to do the same course twice. My friend did CELTA and worked freelance in Warsaw as a teacher of English. His dream was to find his 'pani' and settle down in Poland and even buy a house. He found his 'pani' and they even came to England on holiday before it was decided that she was going back to Poland on her own and that was to be the end of their relationship. A big shame. Now he travels around england fixing cash desks. Quite a nice girl, who could even understand my polish!

BubbaWoo   Jan 20, 2008, 12:51pm /  #
TESOl and CELTA are two different qualifications. sure, ostensibly there are many similarities but they represent two different approaches to teaching english

Michal   Jan 20, 2008, 04:56pm /  #
No, they are very much the same thing. Both are courses to teacher people to teach English in private schools. As far as I know, each requires six hours of observed teaching practice in the classroom with observation of teachers too. Grammar is the same and even the lesson planning is the same PPP-presentation, practice performance? Same old thing however you look at it.


BubbaWoo   Jan 20, 2008, 04:57pm /  #
no michal - research a little deeper

Seanus   Jan 20, 2008, 07:35pm /  #

Michal   Jan 21, 2008, 01:15am /  #
BubbaWoo wrote:
no michal - research a little deeper

As far as I am aware, Trinity College does a little bit about teaching children whereas CELTA is all about teaching adults as the title explains. However, from what I remember, it was really very little and certainly there were no special classes with children. Otherwise, English grammar is the same whatever course you choose.

Harry :-(   Jan 21, 2008, 10:08am /  #
BubbaWoo wrote:
TESOl and CELTA are two different qualifications. sure, ostensibly there are many similarities but they represent two different approaches to teaching english

Michal is talking about the Trinity College cert. TESOL. It is very similar to the CELTA. Which is why the validating body for EFL schools in Poland (PASE) recognise both qualifications as being sufficient.

lowfunk99 wrote:
What about getting the TESOL and some experience then taking the CELTA once I have some experience.

Alternatively, you could actually find out about what you are going to be charging money to teach to people before you start charging them money?

lowfunk99 wrote:
How much can you make teaching privately?

That’s a question you should ask to Mr Jones, he appears to be the expert on teaching privates. Personally I never let private classes account for more than 30% of income: private students are far less reliable than school/in-company classes.

jones101 wrote:
You are angry because you know I am right. You are feeling the reality that you wasted a lot of time and effort making something way more complicated than it needs to be.

You are not right. You clearly know nothing, not even where to get your residency permit sorted out. You've been teaching for less than a week, I taught for more than a decade. You might think that a 200 hour course is a lot of wasted time and effort, I’d call it the minimum needed not to steal from students. You keep stealing their money, obviously it doesn’t bother your conscience. Well, at least you would be if you were actually teaching, but more about that later.
jones101 wrote:
The students I know care more about results and ability than a piece of paper. Paper does not make one an educator.

But it does make it possible for one to get a job at all of the better schools in Poland.
jones101 wrote:
"Explain the difference RIGHT NOW!" What are you...12? Double dog daring me and such? Haha...you are funny old chap.

So you mean you can’t. Must be good for your students when they need to ask you a question about grammar and you have no idea what the answer is.
jones101 wrote:
You are pretentious because you think it is necessary to have a pretentious piece of paper in order to be a good educator...it is simply not and you can rant all you want about it it changes nothing.

You are a thief because you take money for pretending to teach what you know nothing about.
jones101 wrote:
I don't blame you however...I would be upset too if someone was making as much as me doing the same thing and didn't jump through all the hoops I did. Kind of makes you feel a bit underappreciated eh?

You do not do what I do. I am not a teacher. I taught in Poland for 11 years and now I’m doing something else. Something which pays very well and is rather enjoyable too.
jones101 wrote:
They are very territorial and pretentious normally.

I’ve already said that there is more than enough work for everybody. I know that you can’t teach, now it appears that you can’t read.

jones101 wrote:
I teach privately and make more than any school here would pay unless you were a director in some university program.

So what you mean is that all the schools you went to rejected you applications. Could that be because you think that teachers don’t need any qualifications? I wonder.
You’re earning more than any school would pay? More than the 100zl per hour which the British Council pay? I somehow very much doubt it. Why not tell us how much an hour of your wisdom costs?

One last question: if you’re making so much money in your glittering career as a private EFL teacher, why is it that you said seven days ago “I have been paying my way with money earned from the US (and thus I am putting money INTO the Polish economy but not taking any out...like many expats) but was looking into to working here for a bit....”
http://www.polishforums.com/help_collecting_karta_pobytu-7_18275_0.htm l#msg341203 ???
Were you lying seven days ago when you said you were looking into working here and have been living off money earned in the USA or are you lying now when you tell us about how fabulously wealthy you are in your wonderful job?

BubbaWoo   Jan 21, 2008, 10:16am /  #
how would you describe the differences between ESOL and EFL, if indeed there are any?

jones101 Edited by: jones101    Jan 21, 2008, 10:25am /  #
Harry Harry Harry....

I knew full well WHERE to get the permit...I just hoped there was another option as the system is corrupt and a hassle. That has nothing to do with my intelligence. It is simply a matter of getting information. Seems you cannot see the difference.

I have been teaching here in Poland for a week yes(but other places before)...and my friends have been doing it for a few years and were the ones that got me into it. I have never applied at a school...I saw how they treated and paid my friends and private is the way to go. I am smart enough not to repeat the mistakes of others but rather take their wisdom and apply it. You are just angry you did it the hard way.

I still earn money from the USA as I mentioned...teaching is a supplement and pays quite well :) Thus your fantastic trap has been shot full of holes my boy! I did not lie...you simply could not conceive of how I could have done what I said.

As to the rest of your nonsense, accusations and insults why in the world should I engage you when all you can do is hurl garbage? You are proving the attitudes that I mentioned "professional" English teachers have...quite often pompous jerks from what I have seen.

You claim to know me and know what I can and cant do...I have never met a psychic...it is impressive.

You are quite obviously a bitter sod and very reactionary at that. Keep firing back in line for line quotes all you like. You bore me.

Toodles

Harry :-(   Jan 21, 2008, 10:29am /  #
BubbaWoo wrote:
how would you describe the differences between ESOL and EFL, if indeed there are any?

ESOL is English for speakers of other languages while EFL is English as a foreign language. ESOL is what would be needed for somebody who intends to live in an English speaking country (where it may be used as the primary language of the learner). EFL is by definition English for use as a second language. Crudely, ESOL is for immigrants and EFL is for tourists.

ESOL is also the more modern of the two names. The Cambridge exams are now all ESOL. Current UK educational theory is that there should be no difference between ESOL and EFL.

I personally prefer ELF (English as a Llingua Franca), partly because it reflects how English is now used (whether it's a Chinese factory owner talking to a German shoe seller or an Albanian drug smuggler talking to a Colombian cocaine producer, they're using English to communicate) and partly because the term really pisses off the French. And a little bit because being an Efl teacher sounds amusing.

jones101 Edited by: jones101    Jan 21, 2008, 10:30am /  #
Ah so now you have something against the French as well...you are a lovely chap. I have never met a French person who is as nasty as you.

OOPS! Broke my declaration to ignore you...oh well...everyone makes mistakes.

Ciao

BubbaWoo   Jan 21, 2008, 10:39am /  #
Harry wrote:
ESOL is English for speakers of other languages while EFL is English as a foreign language. ESOL is what would be needed for somebody who intends to live in an English speaking country (where it may be used as the primary language of the learner). EFL is by definition English for use as a second language. Crudely, ESOL is for immigrants and EFL is for tourists


are different qualifications needed to teach these two different approaches?

Harry :-( Edited by: Harry    Jan 21, 2008, 10:43am /  #
BubbaWoo wrote:
are different qualifications needed to teach these two different approaches?


Not in Poland.

jones101 wrote:
I have been teaching here in Poland for a week yes(but other places before)...and my friends have been doing it for a few years and were the ones that got me into it. I have never applied at a school...I saw how they treated and paid my friends and private is the way to go. I am smart enough not to repeat the mistakes of others but rather take their wisdom and apply it. You are just angry you did it the hard way.


Ah, dear boy, so you're telling us all about teaching when you've been doing it for less than a full week here. The fact that you are posting on this board at 5.30pm speaks volumes about how successful a teacher you must be. As anybody who has ever done any teaching knows, the busiest time for a teacher is immediately after children finish school and immediately after people finish work (hence all the 4pm classes for kids and the 5pm classes for adults). As you’re posting here, you can’t be teaching a lesson and so we know you are too useless to get a class at the peak time of the day! Or perhaps you can post here because you had a private student at 5pm Monday of last week and this week the student has mysteriously not shown up? I wonder why they wouldn’t ....

If your friends aren’t qualified either, it’s no wonder they work for schools which pay badly and treat staff the same way. But you’ll soon learn how wise it is to rely on private students.

jones101 wrote:
I still earn money from the USA as I mentioned...teaching is a supplement and pays quite well :)

I note that you still won’t tell us how much you earn from teaching. I wonder why that might be. If you were qualified and could get the better jobs at the better schools, you’d know that teaching can easily be more than just a supplement. It can pay rather well actually. Even working as little as 27 hours a week is enough to earn a net salary of US$2,500 a month. But of course, you earn far more than that don’t you? You earn “ more than any school here would pay unless you were a director in some university program.”

Seanus   Dec 14, 2008, 05:16am /  #
http://www.basilpaterson.co.uk/tefl_courses/celta.html, this is where I did my CELTA. It's a rigorous course but Jill and Berenice are highly experienced and know their trade.

You are constantly more analytical and reflective. Teaching in Japan became very mechanical, so natural after a short time. The CELTA, however, begs different questions. A fuller awareness is required.


page 4 of 4:    ««    1    2    3    4 Go UPtop of page
Archives / 2008 / Work /

Archived (read-only).