PolishForums - ARCHIVE   Poland Tips and IdeasPolishForums Archive :
Archives / 2009 / Food / 8

KLUSKI Z SEREM -- family favourite

Polonius3   Jan 11, 2009, 05:11am /  #1
Involved Polish dishes such as pierogi, gobki and zrazy zawijane are turn-offs for many, but some Polish dishes are the heigth of simplicity. One dish regularly served in many familiesi kluski z serem (noodles & curd cheese). Visiors rarely get to sample it, because Poles regard it as a homey, family dish not go enoguh for foreign company.
Cook noodles or other pasta of choice until tenderer than al dente, drain and toss with crumbled twarg (curd cheese). Garnish with skwarki (golden-brown fried pork fatback nuggets) and as much of the drippings as you like. Enjoy!
Proportions: to average packet of noodles use 1 - 2 cup crumbled cheese according to preference and about 50 g fatback.

nikttaki   Jan 11, 2009, 12:05pm /  #2
Mmmm... I really like kluski z serem! very simple to do and very good, especially if you put some more effort and prepare home made noodles/pasta/kluski!!! I like them with lots of "bialy ser/twarog" and tiny slices of "skwarki" - well fried bacon - if I dont have bacon I cut onion into very small pieces, fry it till it becomes brown and it tastes good too... :) Smacznego :)

purplelady   Jan 11, 2009, 12:18pm /  #3
This sounds delicious. Is curd cheese similar to the cottage cheese we find in the US or is it something different?

Seanus   Jan 11, 2009, 12:26pm /  #4
This is news to me. I thought kluski were things to accompany rolada and red cabbage (modra kapusta). Is that just kluski lski? Are they really noodles?

Some say twarg is cottage cheese but they are not quite the same. Curd cheese is a good way to describe it.

nikttaki   Jan 11, 2009, 12:42pm /  #5
twarog = "bialy ser" and on some web sites it was translated as a cottage cheese too, try to google "bialy ser" and the pictures should explain...
Kluski z serem could be also known as "kluski lyzka kladzione" (z serem)

Polonius3   Jan 12, 2009, 05:28am /  #6
Kluski has several meanings in Polish. It can be a kind of small dumplings (similar to German Sptzle), Silesian potato ball dumplings, lane kluski = poured-batter dumplings and, in the kluski z serem (and Xmas Eve kluski w makiem) instance -- egg noodles. Thinner egg noodles used in soup are called makaron.
Twarg is similar to American dry cottage cheese (without the soupy whey and cream of your average American cottage cheese), also known as curd cheese and farmer cheese.

Claudge in Hamt   Feb 17, 2009, 09:20am /  #7
In my family the curd cheese used is Farmers cheese (comes in a triangle white brick) and is sold as Farmers Cheese found in most super markets in the US also it is known as dry cottage cheese however the taste in cottage cheese is more familiar however the taste it presents in this meal offsets the taste of buttered noodles which my grandmother fried the noodles in then added the butter (just slightly burnt or as grandma would say drizzle just burning butter over the top of cheese and noodles). I enjoyed my noodles slightly crisp as well. enjoy!

billfromnorfolk   Mar 13, 2009, 12:38am /  #8
I have been eating an americanized version of Kluski and cheese since I was a child. My grandmother would make it with One pound of noodles, one pound of bacon and one pound of cottage cheese. This has always been one of my favorite meals, Milk soup being my next favorite!

Archives / 2009 / Food /Archived