PolishForums - ARCHIVE   Poland for Expats and TouristsPolishForums Archive :
Archives / 2009 / USA, Canada / 11

Transferring money from Canada to Poland

zoogle   Oct 26, 2007, 03:01pm /  #1
I will be moving from Canada, selling all of my real estate to Poland. What is the best and safest way to transfer 100-200K?

hello Activity: 25 / 921
Joined: Dec 5, 2006 ♂
  Oct 26, 2007, 03:05pm /  #2
Hm, tricky. You'll probably have to pay tax of that amount. Do you have a business or are just a person?

Wroclaw Activity: 50 / 5,564
Joined: Apr 1, 2006 ♂
  Oct 26, 2007, 03:07pm /  #3
Quoting: zoogle
What is the best and safest way to transfer 100-200K?

Bank would be safest. But maybe costly.

Ask the bank.

Krzysztof Activity: 2 / 1,016
Joined: Jul 26, 2007 ♂
  Oct 27, 2007, 12:59pm /  #4
anyway bringing more than 10K Euro is subject to customs declaration, don't forget that like one of PM did (he was bringing 1 million euro or US$ in cash from Italy and "forgot" to mention that to the customs officers and when they found out, he was trying to get away with this thanks to his diplomatic passport :)

nauczyciel   Oct 28, 2007, 03:58pm /  #5
you can give it to me and i will deliver it. but i'm already here in PL

Western Union?? :P

z_darius Activity: 14 / 4,026
Joined: Oct 18, 2007 ♂
  Oct 28, 2007, 04:05pm /  #6
Quoting: zoogle
I will be moving from Canada, selling all of my real estate to Poland.

I you are re-settling back to Poland you may be exempt from any duty taxes (mienie przesiedlenia) . Check with the Polish consulate.

zoogle   Oct 29, 2007, 10:08pm /  #7
I've tried calling the consulate and left messages in both polish and english and no one has gotten back to me.

Qacer Activity: 38 / 125
Joined: Jul 9, 2007 ♂
  Oct 30, 2007, 12:30am /  #8
I'll meet you near the Windsor border in Michigan tomorrow at 4PM. You bring the cash and I'll bring the swimming donkeys. They can take it to Poland.

Anyway, your best bet will probably be to open a bank account in Poland and do a wire transfer of your funds from Canada to there. Carrying that much money on a plane is risky. Plus, you probably need to declare that value when you arrive in Poland. In other words, you'll probably fill out a special form possibly giving your status as a "money man" to the other passengers or crew.

Guest   Jul 19, 2008, 01:40pm /  #9
i would think your best bet is to wire your money directly to your banck account in poland just to be on the safe side set up account in CAD or USD $. and its all tax free.

Jared   Jan 29, 2009, 10:25am /  #10
You can transfer money from any bank or credit union in Canada to your polish bank with any amount, average cost for wiring is about $30 per transaction. I think this is the best way to do it. Western Union charges too much.

nauczyciel   Feb 1, 2009, 01:06pm /  #11
i've had 3 wire transfers done in last 4 months from Canada to PL. Bank to Bank. 45CAD each transfer.

Keep in mind that the easiest thing to do is to have someone co-signed on your acct in Canada then they can inititate the transfer. Thats what I have done.

Being in PL and asking your bank in Canada to start it, would take weeks. with the paper trail and checking...etc.

why am i replying to a 15 month old thread??

Archives / 2009 / USA, Canada /Archived